Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > 3SGTE (MR2 Turbo) Engine Transplant

Daniel

88 Posts
Member #: 720
Advanced Member

Gloucestershire

OK guys,

I'm planning using the whole rear subframe/powertrain/suspension from an SW20 Mr2 for a rwd transplant into one of my minis.

Apparently this has been done somewhere already and was in PPC some while ago.

Anyone have any info, pointers, photos or the actual magazine?

Cheers

Dan

Edited by Daniel on 1st Oct, 2006.

stevieturbo

3587 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Ive seen a red one at Sana pod a couple of times, and I suspect you could see it again at jap show next weekend.

I left the pics big, so just links here. These pics were taken at JapShow 2005

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9193/img1967od2.jpg

http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/5417/img1966tw5.jpg

http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/263/img1965ys1.jpg

This pic from Japshow 2004
http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/7722/img0745gr6.jpg

The car did have a tendency to wheelie.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Daniel

88 Posts
Advanced Member

Gloucestershire

Thanks guys,

Yep it's a good motor alright - basically a smaller 2JZ. I've seen a 720hp (2.0l MR2) waste a Z06 over in the states from about 100mph roll so there's more than enough potential for me and my 600kg mini !!

I'm looking for a good steady 250bhp which is more than achievable with stock reliability. I just wanted to get away from the relatively weak A series and then figured it might be an idea do get away from fwd as well.

I've considered all the usual suspects including a 1UZ V8, and the obvious Hyabusa but I think the V8 is too big and the trailing arms of the bike kits are pretty crap for track work if you ask me.
The idea of a butcher subframe drop in just appeals somehow.

Good advice on the mk1 transplant - I'm researching it right now on that site you mentioned, thanks. I think I could probably live with the wider track of a mk2 but not decided yet.

I have a few concerns over the handling with such a wide short wheel based machine and stevieturbo has certainly shed some more light on that!!

Thanks for the pics - that's a serious intercooler, bigger than I have in my Supra for god's sake but I suppose it is in a pretty crap location!

Looking into pricing, sizing, handling and engine management at the moment.

Any more pictures or info would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Daniel on 1st Oct, 2006.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10980 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

That one might have had a powerfull engine and looked very spectacular, but it was a very, VERY amateurish build - basically the back end was chopped off the MR2 and welded into the mini.

You could do a lot better for yourself to not study it in too much detail IMO.

You'd be best asking the guys on www.16vminiclub forums for more info on builds.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

stevieturbo

3587 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

With that sort of power in the rear.....I wouldnt even consider it for a track car.

It was pulling 12's as far as I recall, so while it is fast, its by no means a rocket. I wouldnt think it has a huge amount more power than a standard MR2 engine ( which IMO are notoriously unreliable anyway....worse than K-series for head gaskets )

So if its able to wheelie, for the first couple of gears, then to even consider it for track use, is downright dangerous.

Now if you were to consider a mid mounted Subaru engine, using a fwd gearbox....low centre of gravity, all alloy, the front engine rear trans position would also have better weihgt distribution.
And they are excellent engines IMO.
Now I'd be up for that idea.

I wouldnt take an MR2 or one of their engines for free.
Although the later ST205 model engine ( GT4 ) are much better than the older ST-185.

Edited by stevieturbo on 1st Oct, 2006.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

stevieturbo

3587 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Oh.... and if the lighter MR2 has 720bhp, I'd like to think it did smoke the 400bhp Z06 lol

But the Z06 will keep going like that for 100,000 miles !! Will the MR2 ?
plus its a V8

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Daniel

88 Posts
Advanced Member

Gloucestershire

On 01/10/2006 16:36:16 stevieturbo said:

But the Z06 will keep going like that for 100,000 miles !! Will the MR2 ?

I enquired just for you and as of today it's done just over 27,000miles since the engine build.

Granted it's not running 700+ for all of that but is well clear of 400 on a daily basis.

I wasn't hinting that the MR2 was a great car or that the Z06 race was fair - more that I've seen first hand the kind of performance the motor can handle. It's the only fast MR2 I have ever seen first hand and just thought I'd mention it.

I am considering a stock 3SGTE 1994+ motor. I thought the ST205 used this same 3SGTE as well, am I wrong?

Back to discuss the mini stuff in a bit....

stevieturbo

3587 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

The ST185 and ST205 versions are very different.

Mostly internal, with the ST205 having much improved head and coolant passages, as well as the engine producing more power.
There are also various external differences, sump, inlet manifold, Not sure if oiling has changed too...

Not sure of exact specifics, but I know first hand that ST-185's are a nightmare.
It should be said though, that I stripped a friends ST205 to replace pistons some years ago. It is actually a nice engine inside. Just a nightmare to work around ( when installed in the car )

But the reliaiblity of the older ST-185's would make me stay very very well away from them. In my experience, they really are on par, if not worse than K-series as far as head gaskets go.
There is a major design flaw somewhere there.

Edited by stevieturbo on 1st Oct, 2006.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Dangerous

2521 Posts
Member #: 417
Post Whore

Swindon

Loads of info/pics ere

http://www.spagweb.com/gallery/ed_06_mr_ed/index.htm

Metro turbo weekend driver,Mini turbo in the making again!

Daniel

88 Posts
Advanced Member

Gloucestershire

OK for the record - the 1994+ MR2 turbo engine is the same as the ST205 (not the 185). I appreciate the pointers on the 185 but that's not the engine I am talking about.

The last 3SGTE in the MR2 was the 245bhp, CT20 turbo version (not CT26), and I believe no MAF - purely MAP based.

Also- I am not hard fast and set on this choice. I do want something a little different, with a reliable 200bhp, drivetrain and suspension easy to transfer etc etc

However I am a fan of Toyota engines. Not being able to fit the length of a 2JZGTE (which I am 100% familiar with) I thought about the 1UZ V8 but ended up with the Rev 2+ MR2 choice given the simplifications offered by the MR2 install.

Back shortly...

neil_g

64 Posts
Member #: 1175
Advanced Member

Nr Bournemouth

this one - http://images7.fotki.com/v106/photos/5/594...DSC01703-vi.jpg

the back end needs widening a touch too lol

dont for god sake buy a cheap or high milage engine, i wouldnt call them reliable either. missus had no end of issues with hers, inc head gasket.

Daniel

88 Posts
Advanced Member

Gloucestershire

I'm leaning more towards a normally aspirated engine for more confidence cornering (RWD) and more linear power delivery.

The 3SGE Beams motor looks nice albeit controlling the vvti would be next to impossible unless I stuck with the appropriate OEM ecu.

Thanks for the replies so far, still thinking........

Attachments:

Daniel

88 Posts
Advanced Member

Gloucestershire

Anyone know why that pic got attached to everyone's post rather than just my last one?

AlexB
Site Admin

6276 Posts
Member #: 1
The boring bloke who runs this place.

Berkshire

Just a bug in the forum *wink*

fixed!

Home > Technical Chat > 3SGTE (MR2 Turbo) Engine Transplant
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: