Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Minus 7 port turbo

jonny f

2093 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Cheers chaps.

No event as such, Just a trackday. It was the full circuit, 300 i think it's called!

It's a good circuit I enjoyed it.

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Went to the MK1 action day.

Thoroughly enjoyed it! Nice to put a few names to faces to *smiley*.

Car ran really good all day, except i lost the clutch clevis pin somewhere.

Cheers Rick for the snaps!

Done a few tweeks to the car recently. Always felt the brakes were crap and it was just my setup skill. I then swapped to minispares Carbon Metallic pads and now the brakes are spot on. I think i was just cooking the m1144's with the solid discs. The minispares ones have given me a lot of confidence on the brakes.

Also combined the Expansion tank with the oil catch can, thanks to a friends new business. I've returned the catch can back to the sump as well. With the oil getting changed so often i could not see any harm in it. Saves me emptying it often.

Drilled some holes in the drives inner wing, which have not made any difference to cooling! I'm going to fit an oil cooler. I did have a gauge in for Blyton but it wasn't much use. Its on the sump plug so readings drop with wind speed.
Got all the bits ready to go except one 180deg fitting.

Also been slowly working on some new rear brakes. Turned down DSN backplates to suit the drums i turned down. lightened everything along the way. At 355g for the backplate with adjuster.

Anyone know of some similar cylinders to the mini ones in alloy? 3/4 bore.

Edited by jonny f on 12th May, 2017.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

I never managed to say hello. But had a good nosey at the car. Really nioe, and look great on track. Actualy better than great.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Agreed wil it's low and fast!

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 12th May, 2017 wil_h said:
I never managed to say hello. But had a good nosey at the car. Really nioe, and look great on track. Actualy better than great.

On 12th May, 2017 gr4h4m said:
Agreed wil it's low and fast!

Thanks Wil :). Still got loads of bits to do on it. Don't look at my wiring haha.
It's faster than my talent! Getting to grips with it though. I didn't get overtaken all day. Never got out with two fastest looking cars, the r1 maguire and r1 racer. burcy35 (roy) clubman was very fast to but we always had to go in to cool down when we got together.

Edited by jonny f on 12th May, 2017.

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Also ordered up one of these to sort out my column. It seemed a fairly simple solution.
Hoping with a tubular column i'll be able to drop some weight.

burcy35

177 Posts
Member #: 10990
Advanced Member

Hornsea

You will like those carbon pads jonny, if they stand my heavy bus on its nose then yours will pull your face off. They do mess the wheels up with lots of dust though.

Roy B

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

My head cant work out a combined catch can and header tank?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 12th May, 2017 D4VE said:
My head cant work out a combined catch can and header tank?

Nothing special mate.

Just the two tanks are welded together. Bit neater and tidier plumbing.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Ah.. not sharing?! Thats what i was puzzled about

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

No probs mate. The car definitely doesn't disappoint in the flesh. A credit to you .

Will , I thought I'd seen you , were you with a lad ? I was stood at the side of you taking pics of the track stuff .

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Haha no Dave that wouldn't work very well.

Thanks Rick :).

jamestar

489 Posts
Member #: 9159

Devon

So clean! Looking good man

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Oil coolers in with a Mocal filter sandwich stat. Bit of a pig squeezing it in. Unfortunately the stat could only go one way which means I've got to take the cooler off to change the oil filter as it won't get past the pipe work!

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Updating with numerous problems, spoke to soon about Blyton haha.

Did L2B with no issues, just no speedo so had to follow a marshal everywhere. Bit bored of it, especially when you got all the work for show and shine to be told you cant get any points for carpet/seats as you haven't got carpet. Got 10/10 the last two years lol.

I figured it was time to sort the speedo.
Bit of head scratching later i took the KAD pinion support off to find the end of mainshaft snapped. Its got a sleeve on it to fit the bearing in the pinion support. Just that bit had gone. Luckily it just sat in the support housing. KAD said that you should check the box doesn't go tight when its fitted and remove the dowels if it does. Didn't do that so i am presuming that was problem.
I have left it for now and gone with a GPS speedo.

Noticed a little oil on the MED belt drive again (3rd time!) I've followed the instructions to the T but its leaked each time. What i found was the Cam seal was being pulled off centre causing the leak. You fit it all loose put the pulleys on and the tighten it all so should self centre. It was a long way off though. After drilling everything out bigger it seems better. I have checked it with engineers blue this time to. Fingers crossed it wont leak!

My china special custom rad was also weeping. It's where the core tubes meet the tanks, so quite a difficult repair. I've decided to go up a size to help cooling.
I've gone with an aftermarket Fiat cinquecento rad. Its 40mm twin core. Its going to be a squeeze, ill be cutting some out the front and spacing the grill out. I'm also going to add an extra heater matrix in the turbo line, pre turbo.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182274263233?_tr...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've got to get it all sorted and back together tomorrow, as i'm at Goodwood Monday doing a trackday alongside Players classic, fingers crossed!!

Edited by jonny f on 15th Jun, 2017.

the_soon_to_be

172 Posts
Member #: 1600
Advanced Member

Portsmouth, Hampshire

Saw you flying round Goodwood today. Were the mashals really black flagging you for being to fast around the other skylines etc ?

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Haha that's a cracking rumour!!

I had one black flag for my wheel arch hanging off. One of the brackets I made had snapped.

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

Did you see my mate in his mk1 golf yesterday?

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 18th Jun, 2017 JT said:
Did you see my mate in his mk1 golf yesterday?

No idea haha. There was quite a few Golfs about :).

White and blue one on track?

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

Blue with martini stickers on it. (Dont ask) lol

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 18th Jun, 2017 JT said:
Blue with martini stickers on it. (Dont ask) lol

Yea i saw that it was nice.

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Bit of an update.

Got my alloy cinq rad in. It is massive! solved my cooling issues though. Although its a little ugly at the moment as the grill is spaced out with the fan on the front.

I went to Players classic on track. It was a great show and a very hot day, track time was a shit show. Only got out four times. Stupid ques, oversubscribed and 6 cars out at time. not good! I did get to embarrass a GTR which was fun.

Oh my wheel arch started falling off as one of the brackets i made snapped.
The harris crossflow behind me was very very fast!

Players on the Saturday and i had castle combe booked in on the Monday and i planned to take my skyline but it boiled over on the Sunday. Old faithful mini came out again on another scorching day.

The car ran very well all day only getting a little warm when i had to pull straight in due to a red flag.

Yo-Han

971 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Such a lovely car!!

Dazed and Confused....

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 12th Jul, 2017 Yo-Han said:
Such a lovely car!!

Thanks Yo-han!

Also got a new column sorted, no pics yet as its not quite finished.

Had to sort some switches out. Ended up going with a 'freewheel' set up as recommended by Nick.

Made a switch plate, it took some time. You can get them off the shelf but they all looked a little cumbersome and heavy. Should be able to remove most of the switches in the car and just use this instead as it has 8 channels.

Very happy with the result.

racer_pete

100 Posts
Member #: 4826
Advanced Member

Isleworth

Just seen the review of this on YouTube with monkey London, stalked your build thread for a while previously. credit to you Johnny - looks amazing

Home > Show Us Yours! > Minus 7 port turbo
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 2 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: