Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Minus 7 port turbo

robert

6745 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

that combo should have been fine ,lets hope the new setup works as it should . :)

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

jonny f

2093 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

I hope so to. I'm not having great luck with the turbo!

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Stripped my spare box with ST straight cuts and combined both my boxes along with a KAD modified mainshaft and pinion support.

Was wondering if anyone knows much about selector differences? Noticed I have two types.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I know that this is a Mini place but reading about all the various gearbox woes does confirm my feeling that the box is basically not up to the torque and hp some of you guys subject it to.

That, and the fact that I am a BFB means I am very unlikely to have another mini.My last one was a basic 850 (rubber mats etc) into which I put a 1275 slightly warmed up, on the original box and FD.Good fun for short bursts but it did not want to move off in the wet, on 10,s.

Jonny, you know how much I like your car. so looking forward to seeing it up and running again soon.

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

I know what you are saying.

Although I'm not particularly running anything crazy, 140hp and 156ftlb is pretty common!

I did come very very close to calling it day with A series and giving Lynx AE a call. It didn't happen though :).

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

I know what you are saying.

Although I'm not particularly running anything crazy, 140hp and 156ftlb is pretty common!

I did come very very close to calling it day with A series and giving Lynx AE a call. It didn't happen though :).

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Member #: 1592
Smart Guy!

mainland europe near ze germans

Gearboxes have a torque limit, 156 lbs ft is about 70 lbs/ft over what the factory thought it could handle reliably.

I help out with a race ( NA) mini and it peaks at about 120 lbs/ft but at 6000 rpm when all goes well after the next development round.

It has about the same power but it has no gearbox problems ( mind you it really likes to puke up (very expensive) parts at 8000+ rpm).

It you have a part that is ever so slightly wonky it will reveal itself in quite short order when you at/over the limit.

I think you found a wonky part

*oh well*

smart looking car btw !

Edited by Sir Yun on 18th Aug, 2016.

That sir, is not rust, it is the progressive mass reduction system

http://aseriesmodifications.wordpress.com/

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

I don't think the sticky pod helps !!!! that and a few hard launches , saying that , plenty have run more power and been fine .

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Sorry for hijacking this thread,but the A35 showed 138bhp (torque unknown) on 12 psi.
I am now running 17psi and it is mental, but the Ford 5 speed is still fine after drag racing hill climbing and a couple of trackdays as well as 20000 miles on the road.
Shame it won,t fit a Mini !

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

I know what you are all saying.

Just feel I get back luck though haha.

It's all done now and back up running ready to be my brothers wedding car next Friday and shere hill climb on the Sunday. It's a charity event not a proper hill climb but should be good fun!

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Quick turn around... the brides not gotta get that low has she?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Shere was pretty good last year - especially the V8 Herald !

Can,t make it this time so miss the chance to see your car.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Just throwing a small thought here....... are you using just a smear of RTV sealer on the diff / gearbox casing joint, or gaskets?

Ive stripped gearboxes fitted with gaskets but the diff bearing housings measured round only without gaskets.

Like i said, just a thought.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

It's my brothers wedding so he's either going in this or the best man is. No bride hahaha.

I've seen that herald before! Well put together car. Very cool. Shame you can't make it.

Hmm I have not actually measured it, both the boxes had gaskets in before I rebuilt them. But then one had definable been apart before. So could be an issue.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

What are the gearbox casing casting numbers (failed and latest) ?

DAM2886 is the original rod change casing with the 4 bolt bearing retainer and DAM5626 the later one with only 3 bolts.

The earlier 4 bolt ones have a reputation for failing at the 4th bolt hole allowing the bearing, hence mainshaft, to move away from the diff under load which could explain your failure, ie, casting failed first, pinion followed as a result.

Re. Colin's point I believe the change from gaskets to RTV on the diff housing was at the same time. When they did this they also swapped from studs and nuts to UNC bolts straight into the aluminium and your photo shows studs suggesting an earlier casing.

However, that is no guarantee because some people, ie me, don't like tightening bolts into aluminium and have put studs in the later casings (still use RTV to seal it but studs/nuts to hold it together).

There is also the possibility the diff housing may not "belong" with the casing, they should be a matched pair as the line boring and output support flange face machining are done with them bolted together so parts are not automatically interchangeable but I have had two boxes where the flange faces have a noticeable step showing the housing wasn't the original one (although the holes were surprisingly still round).

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

I will have to have a look, the failed one I had removed all the numbers! Might have a photo somewhere though.

They're both 3 bolt.

Although they are definitely different as the selectors are slightly different.

All points to consider :). Thank you for your input.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I would be very interested to see a photo of the failed one if it was the three bolt type.

Also, the photo at the top of this page appears to show the missing (fourth) bolt so presmably you, or someone previous chose to use studs/nuts (like I do) for the diff housing, BUT, I can't see the additional casting web they added when they removed the fourth bolt.

That additional casting was to further increase the strength in that area.

BTW, Colin's point I'm pretty sure is that if you add gaskets to a casing that was made to use RTV, the diff itself gets pushed backwards by the thickness of the gaskets so the crownwheel/pinion have less engagement. The bearings are still located OK by the pre-load on their sides from the shims, they are just in slightly the wrong place.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

I'll get a photo. I would say it failed due to crap between the cwp pushing it apart though. Rather than failing then causing the cwp to go.

Oh yes, the studs are Simons ti ones. The extra web is there.

I have heard similar thoughts on the gasket thing. Probably should of measured it to see. I know one casing had studs and one had bolts but no idea which!

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

I think your right,

I had a pinion go once, cruising a long at about 40 loud bang like spmthing being hit then a ticking... pulled the box to find the pinion partially missing a tooth so replaced box with a fresh one. looked every where for the bit of tooth...
couple of years later pulled the engine and theres the tooth floating around in the new box... obvioulsy was hiding in the engine somwhere, but i checked up there too.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Very short video, but it's going very well! Event wasn't times or anything unfortunately.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid...230406060315555

Also used it for my brothers wedding car :).

jonny f

2093 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Barely touched the minus lately :(. Been very busy with DIY. Hoping to get back to the minus soon though.

Did have an outing to snetterton and possibly taking it to brands on Monday.

It was very very slippy and I struggled with traction all day everywhere! Took a little trip backwards across the green stuff.

The 32r's were very low so I tried some dunlops, seemed to corner better but spin up in all gears.

It's a good track, hope to get back in the dry at some point.

Slippyness in action!

I've also got a new toy, chalk and cheese to the minus. It's like a boat! Slowly going over it upgrading and restoring bits. Put bigger brakes of an r33 and some adjustable coilovers on.

It's a HR31 GTS-X quite rare over here!

Edited by jonny f on 27th Jan, 2017.

Mike-998

882 Posts
Member #: 9774
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Looks the absolute business on track!!

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=469104&fr=0

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

looking good!

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Turbo Phil

4624 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Awesome !

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

What event was that? Snettertons local to me, which lay out was it? I went round with some big boy stuff n it scared the hell outta me.. then got took out in a miglia n pissed off all the big boy stuff hahaha

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Home > Show Us Yours! > Minus 7 port turbo
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: