Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > richminiturbo's clumban build

BadgerBaiter

499 Posts
Member #: 2257

Brighton

I had the lockable aerocatches on my scoob. They are absolutely fantastic things *happy*

http://www.jolyonway.com

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Member #: 719
Post Whore

Horndean - Near Portsmouth

Yeah aerocatches are brilliant, if I was to re do them one dai id have the main body of the catch on the a-panel and the pin fixed to the inner wing!

Shaun - I looked around 3 fiestas at silverlakes they where all no good:(

BadgerBaiter

499 Posts
Member #: 2257

Brighton

Ahhhh if my flip front could do that I'd probably do the same!
Unfortunately my one includes the A-panels!!
Some guy on eBay sell the EDIS wotsit plus a couple of other bits for £30 odd quid. I know its not that free... but still ....

http://www.jolyonway.com

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

no reason why not,

helped my mate do this on his:

http://www.r1manx.com/Photo_Gallery/Pages/..._Chassis.html#4

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

Ahoy!

More progress with the build recently:

Got the s/c drops in

MED ultralight flywheel+backplate
AP Race/Rally Clutchplate
Grey diaphragm

BENROSS himself is currently giving my head the works to an unleaded spec, as well as porting the exhaust manifold and elbow!

Also took the engine out yesterday so i could start prepping the bulkhead for the T3 and run the fuel lines etc.

Using the ghetto method of lifting wasn't as bad as i thought and I got the engine out from in the car and working to the garage floor in just under an hour! God bless having a flipfront!!

Stripped the carb today aswell and i'm currently giving it a clean up before assembling again with a uprated dashpot spring, high flowing needle valve, and all new genuine seals etc so as to avoid any headaches once its all in.

Dunno why I took these pics but never mind! :

So yeah, really coming along now, going to chop the bulkhead this week and get Ben to weld it in for me, give it a fresh lick of paint and get the head, turbo and paraphernalia onto the engine and it can go in!!

Then just connect everything up, not far off!

Ta

chinlesswonder

530 Posts
Member #: 1192
Post Whore

In the garage......again!!

looking good, your a braver man than me stripping a turbo carb down, really need to do mine but it shits the life out of me, i reckon it wouldn't go back together...ever.

133.5 bhp 123 lb torque 116mph @6640rpm 9.5psi
Shakespear RWYB 14.995 91.83mph

James_H

3692 Posts
Member #: 1833
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

if you think about it and dont just rip it all apart you will be fine mate.

Looking good rich, hope it makes the magical number for you when its all running!

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

Thanks guys!

Yeah james I hope it makes a pretty figure too :) quite paranoid about a few things though which isnt good!!

I think the carb is really simple when i stripped it apart! Not much to it to be honest! I couldn't really see what was different about it compared to other carbs ive taken apart haha.

Only tricky thing was, someone had rounded the allen head screw/bolt which holds the float pivot in. Managed to drill it out and use a spare so all is goood!

Nic

9317 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

Did arnie come round to help lift out that engine?

stefaz

1252 Posts
Member #: 1656
Post Whore

stoke-on-trent

looking good rich - why the ghetto method of lifting the engine though?? thought you had a crane?

On 23rd Oct, 2009 sim_ou_nao said:

eu gosto de mamas = i like boobs

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

On 21st Sep, 2008 Nic said:
Did arnie come round to help lift out that engine?

Nahh i did it on my tod nic!

You not seen my guns? My assistant got a pic of me when I was lifting it as can be seen below:

On 21st Sep, 2008 stefaz said:
looking good rich - why the ghetto method of lifting the engine though?? thought you had a crane?

Thanks mate!

Nah crane isn't mine its a mates but i thought id just give it a go this way to save going to pick the crane up.

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

Well its been about 3 weeks since my last update, I've been hoarding bits like mad for the build and im happy to say that ive got 95% of all the bits I need to get my car on the road turbo'd.

Bit of shell prepping and running of lines and things can start making big steps towards getting finished.

Got in from work today to find a fort-knox type package for me!:

Awesome!! Got my head back from Steve, and I knew the standard of his work before, but the attention to detail that has gone in to every bit of it is fantastic, everything is perfect!! Thanks again Steve, recommend you to anyone.

Steve did me a fully worked head, aswell as ported my exhaust manifold and turbo elbow. Also modded the exhaust clamp for downpipe fitment! Unleaded head, giving me a pukka 8.5:1 compression ratio:

Got a front mount intercooler like a few of the guys on here, which was a great price and is top notch!! Going to fit like a glove behind the clubby grille. Mk1 metro rad with the connections on the same end (thanks James for the switch, owe you one mate). Aswell as a Nic/Hywel plenum (thanks guys!).

Zena racing silicon hoses, great price and fantastic if you don't want to fork out for exactly the same thing that says "Samco" on it instead.

Shiney rockerage

Carb is semi rebuilt, got an uprated dashpot spring, modified needle valve and all new seals etc, just waiting for minispares to pull their finger out after messing me about abit!! Got the take off's on the manifold, and got the stock metro FPR and fuel pump ready.

Got a bargainous expansion tank, but snapped the overflow pipe on the neck off when fiddling with a piece of blanking hose that came with it, doh! *oh well*

Bleed valve:

The T3 with avonbar actuator, set it at 5psi ish preload for the minute while I run it in:

^^ random shot of the stainless pipe for intercooler routing.

Got a v4 MAP MJLJ from autosportslabs, with a led stage-shift light and the long cable, and all the EDIS gubbins:

Have a ring gear type trigger wheel which I've got ready to send up to Carl to turn the pulley down for me.

I cut the bulkhead for the clearance box and put the actuator angle in aswell, my mate Mike welded it in for me:

And swapped my ultralights with a guy at combe with some 7x13 wellers, with bran spankers tyres! Got them shotblasted aswell, got a funky idea for them, going to look sweeet!:

Thats how it stands at the moment, got bits on their way in the post, should have the engine finished and ready this weekend bar the crank pulley, hoping to rub the bulkhead back and paint all that weather and time permitting aswell.

Then its just a case of running the fuel lines, wiring the pump in, then the engine can go in and get connected up to everything. Mount the rad and cooler etc and set it up!!

Cheers:)

Edited by richminiturbo. on 16th Oct, 2008.

Ben.

628 Posts
Member #: 1064
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm looks good.

You need to throw some of that spare cash you have my way.

Build Thread Click Here

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

Spare? What spare haha. Unless ive misplaced a load that I dont know about.

Nic

9317 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

Nice!

How cool are benross's new stickers!!!!!

Hahaha ive just noticed your photoshopping talents-very good

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

have you photoshopped this to make you knob look bigger?

looks like its all coming together now, good luck!

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

dan_up

380 Posts
Member #: 1835

Thame, oxfordshire

looking really good mate, will be keeping an eye on this one!! *Yes*

On 23rd Aug, 2010 Nic said:
Turbophil had a butt plug made that seemed to be suitable. He may have finished with it now and have it kicking around spare

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

Thanks guys!

Yeah the Benross stickers are sweeeet! Very pro with one on the parcel aswell.

Joey, I didnt photoshop any of it *wink*

Ben.

628 Posts
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

On 17th Oct, 2008 richminiturbo. said:
Joey, I didnt photoshop any of it *wink*

Lies... this is the actual photo his head was expertly taken from:

Build Thread Click Here

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

ffs

Ben.

628 Posts
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

Sorry, i'l give you that £10 back you gave me for not posting this photo.

Build Thread Click Here

theoneeyedlizard

7264 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

This is coming together nicely!

Good work!

In the 13's at last!.. Just

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

On 17th Oct, 2008 theoneeyedlizard said:
This is coming together nicely!

Good work!

Thanks Gary!

Got the engine 95% ready today, feel so close now!!

Got the head on, rockers on and all torqued down, need to set the clearances still but that can be done on the car:

Had to file quite abit out of the lugs on the exhaust manifold as it was fouling the studs quite abit for some reason. Turbo then went on, had a bit of a nightmare getting one of the manifold to turbo nuts done up, the one nearest the block on the compressor side, took the actuator off which gave me just enough angle to nip the swine up! :

Routed the oil feed, had a fiddle in a few different positions and now have it so the union points towards the block, runs against it and out to the clutch cover, keeping away from the hot bits on the back!:

Went round to Ben's and he turned down my pulley for me, he has his uses I guess..:

Just need to:

Torque the pulley down now but torque wrench is busted!!

Knock up a blanking plate for the speedo drive

Knock up the crank position sensor bracket.

And it's ready to go in and get connected up with every thing and all the ancillaries lobbed on.

Going to crack on with the bulkhead tomorrow, rub it down to bare metal and give it some red-oxide primeridge and a lick of paint. Get the car off the deck and take all the old fuel lines off and beyond!!

Cheers

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Looking good, looking good.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Ben.

628 Posts
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

On 18th Oct, 2008 richminiturbo. said:

Went round to Ben's and he turned down my pulley for me, he has his uses I guess..:

Ha... prick.

Build Thread Click Here

Home > Show Us Yours! > richminiturbo's clumban build
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: