Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > richminiturbo's clumban build

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Member #: 719
Post Whore

Horndean - Near Portsmouth

Haha yeah it does make life alot easier, though im finding it tricky fitting everything in (dont ask about the fan! :S) I dunno how you round nose guys manage front mount setups.

Just poked the intercooler in the hole, if I can drop the rad by about 20mm the badboy will fit in there nice and snug, with two thirds of the intercooler in the air flow (kind of a shame, if I got the right one it'd fit perfectly behind the grille!).

I'm thinking I might do something with the numberplate and put some holes in the front for the rad aswell.

Edited by richminiturbo. on 28th Apr, 2009.

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

Progress!!

On the weekend I got everything sorted that needed to be so I could fire up the engine.

Set the fuel pressure to 4psi using a spare boost gauge, primed the oil pump by pushing it in gear backwards while backfilling it, went to crank the engine with the plugs out to make sure I get healthy oil pressure - nothing, the starter motor is shot arggh!

I went out on sunday morning to see what I could do next, only to be met by a puddle of oil under the sump - fork. Turns out theres a leak from the drivers side outputshaft cover, from behind the detent spring and ball cover.

When I was building the gearbox my torque wrench had an odd moment and I over tightened the bolt closest to the detent spring, stripping the thread in the ally box casing. In the end I just built it back up will alot of sealant around that thinking it should seal-wronnnng. It was leaking just from being full of oil having not even been under pressure yet.

So I thought right, i'm going to have to helicoil the thread but to make acess easier i'll take the engine out, disconnected it all sunday afternoon and just hoiked it out today with dad helping.

Upon closer inspection i'd already put a helicoil in the hole!:

I was wondering why i'd never put the bolt back in, but for some really really odd reason beyond me, the bolt hole didnt line up whatsover with the output shaft cover on.

I took the other bolts out and had a look, by the looks of things the standard bolt hole wouldnt have lined up properly anyway, but when I took it apart it all seemed ok so fook knows.

In the end I had to file about 3mm out of the cover so I could get the bolt in square. Bodge. But its done and all sealed properly.

Meeting a mate who has a free starter motor for me tonight so thats the other problem ticked off.

Engine will be back in the car the next few days and hopeully ready to start for the first time, then onto the next load of inevitable problems!!!

Ahh well its close, im excited :)

Rich

Ben.

628 Posts
Member #: 1064
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

Cool beans, you got that sorted quicker then expected eh.

Build Thread Click Here

hario

444 Posts
Member #: 2885

Does it work then?!

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

Alllll most!

I've just re-aligned the exhaust system, gonna load my map to the megajolt in car and give it a go at jumping. I've got 60psi oil pressure on cranking with the plugs out so thats the first hurdle down!

No leaks from the geabox either :)

Ben.

628 Posts
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

Pimp.

Build Thread Click Here

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

Argggh!

First attempt : Failure

Jumping it off my daily it turns over really quick - result!

I was cranking it then flicked my fuel pump on and it fired twice but didnt start.

I tried again and the engine turned 3 or 4 times really slowly and the jumper car's idle dropped.

Took the plugs out and as I expected the bores had filled up with fuel - doh!

So i'm drying the plugs off now.

How long should I prime the pump for, I guess enough to fill the float chamber up? I've no idea haha.

James_H

3692 Posts
Member #: 1833
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

Ricki Ricardo, whats the latest?

Is this thing on the road now that your rolling in the mulah?

Ben.

628 Posts
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

No, hes been wasting his money buying stuff for that jap piece of shit he bought.

Build Thread Click Here

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

PffffTTT! ^^

No Jimbo not on the road yet. I still need to get the thrusts sorted and it all back together just havnt got round to it yet!!

Not quite swimming in cash yet matey, start my training first week of August and will most likely be offshore mid Sept.

Wouldnt mind having it all together and perhaps back in by then though but my training is up in Great Yarmouth, I wanna go tp mitp aswell but dunno if that can happen.

As benj said I have been giving the s13 some more attention than the mini recently. Noice coilovers and what not :)

James_H

3692 Posts
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

Bingo Bango!

Get the thing on the road though!

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Member #: 1194
Post Whore

Shropshire.

Rich, any update on the build mate?

James_H

3692 Posts
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

He's offshore at the moment i believe.

Think he's done abit of investigating with the engine to sort his thrush problems but that was the last i heard.

Richard, get your lazy ass on here and let us all know!!

Ben.

628 Posts
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

Hes offshore at the moment and rarely gets on the internet, and when he does its slow as fook.

Build Thread Click Here

James_H

3692 Posts
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

You know if he's sorted his Thrush problems?

Ben.

628 Posts
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

He said he has a cream aswell as the tablets now. Its got quite bad though I believe, he is wearing watertight pants at the moment to contain the seepage.

Build Thread Click Here

ben doodar

241 Posts
Member #: 595

stoke on trent

looks brilliant mate, engine looks sexual.

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

Duh duh DUHHHH!

Hello everyone! Long time no update / post on the forum whatsoever!

I felt so bad for not even coming on to read anything let alone post - 8 months!! Although its been a very busy 8 months for me.

Not touched anything to do with the mini in ages, the last time I did was back last summer when I had the engine apart and sorted the crank endfloat.

Upon stripping it down, it was found to have 0 endfloat according to the DTI gauge I used. After id whipped the thrusts out and had them on some wet and dry I got the endfloat to a tasty 4 thou.

Bolted the gearbox back on and thats about it for the last 10 months probably - shocking! Considering its so close to being finished, what an arse!

Recently got home from being offshore and thought id better man the hell up and get back on track. Got the transfer casing back on along with the primary gear, backplate and flywheel - just waiting on a man enough torque wrench to tighten the flywheel bolt then the wok can go on.

Need to order a manifold gasket as the last one leaked anyway. Which one does everyone use? I found the "large bore" gasket I got from minispares wasnt "large hole'd" enough for my mega Benross head. I remember enlarging the holes and thought this was a bit of a bodge, turns out (when i got it running originally) that it leaked no matter how tight the manifold was bolted down. The gasket was just shite!

Ill get on and order one anyway and get the engine back in one piece this weekend. Maybe borrow Bens crane and get it in this weekend too!

The cars been sat for ages and is looking a bit worse for wear. I tidied up some wiring inside the car today but the rest is a bit crappy really. Need to have another pop and some of the Megajolt wiring again.

The car isnt as "clean" as it once was now its been standing for so long, not that it ever was anyway. Im not really bothered with it now, I just want to get it working and get some good use out of it before I start buying fancy footwork bits etc.

So yeah, thought id make an update, although not much to report, hopefully my motivation will stick around long enough for me to get the thing completed.

Edited by richminiturbo. on 17th Mar, 2010.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

I use the large bore manifold trimmed out to suit.

check the manifold faces are flat.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

Yeah thats what I had before hand, for some reason the outer layer of it lifted away and it was slowly puffing out of it, very weird.

I remember having a steel rule acrosse the faces of the manifolds and Steve faced the port side of the head so all should be well really!

Will get a gasket asap and see how it goes.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

they are a bit tricky to trim without having the composite outer flake off the metal inner, ideally use a nibbler.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

stefaz

1252 Posts
Member #: 1656
Post Whore

stoke-on-trent

Rich, I'm using the payen one that comes with fire rings in it, is a little pricey but a good quality gasket and it does seal well

On 23rd Oct, 2009 sim_ou_nao said:

eu gosto de mamas = i like boobs

Nic

9317 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

My god!!
I cant believe you've done some work on it

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Post Whore

Spent half hour here and there over the last few days and have the clutch+flywheel assembly all installed.

Set about refitting the turbo, remains of the old manifold gasket were fused to the head quite bad where its been sat for a while. Got it all off and cleaned it up nicely for the new gasket to go on.

Had recieved two "large bore" gaskets from minispares, slighlty less rigid to the one I had before so its a different type, no need to enlarge the port holes on this one so fingers crossed itll go on fine and not need to be replaced any time soon.

Double checked my inlet and exhaust manifold flanges, inlets ok but im not happy with the exhaust manifold. Looking at the centre exhaust port flange, the "top" edge of it is very worn/pitted and skinny in comparison to the other two. This was the one that leaked when I had the engine running for the first time.

See for yourself (excuse the shite iPhone pics) -

Not too great. The edge seems alot thinner in comparison to the others and its broken away at the edges as you can see. Would it be best to get the manifold re-faced at a machine shop or what?

Nic

9317 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

Post a pic of the gasket you are using

Home > Show Us Yours! > richminiturbo's clumban build
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: